Progress in the field of fertility is assuming a true medical revolution. Specifically, the past few decades have been key in researching and implementing new treatments to help people with fertility problems.
Decision of women to be a mother at what age is conditioning the demand for assisted reproduction treatments, women with 40-year-old mostly applying for professional help to achieve pregnancy.
This fact hides a reality with which gynecologists meet daily: there is still a great general ignorance about the possibilities of conceiving in a healthy way, spontaneously or with medical help, in relation to the different ages of women.
Freezing of Eggs
It is an “in vitro fertilization, but deferred”. That is, ovarian stimulation of the woman is produced and controlled to identify when it is the optimal time to perform the puncture and to extract the eggs. The extracted eggs are then frozen until required. That is, when the woman wants to be a mother.
Here is the basic information of this technique.
- The ideal age to perform the freezing of eggsabout 20 to 35 years old coincides with maximum female fertility.
- The rate of pregnancy of the woman falls irretrievably according to its age. With 25 years, there are 25% of options per cycle to achieve it naturally. With 30, 22%. With 35, 12%, with 40, 5%. And with 45, 1%.
- At the age of 35, we only have a 10% ovarian reserve.
- At the time of egg retrieval, 10 is the number of oocytes considered optimal to ensure future motherhood.
- Getting less than 10 eggsdoes not mean not being able to get pregnant, it only reduces the chances.
- Freezing the eggsmeans holding them indefinitely as they were at the time of extraction.
- Freezing does not alter the genetic material.
- There is no maximum age for future implementation, but there are ethical recommendations in this respect. It is discouraged to do so beyond the age of 42-43.
- From the age of 40, more than 50% of the eggs are chromosomally altered. From the age of 42, the figure amounts to 75%. The freezing of eggs prevents these chromosomal alterationslinked to the age, what allows to have in the future more healthy children.
- Chronological age, however, does not have to coincide with biological age. There are always exceptions: women with 30 years ofage have low quality eggs and others who at 40 years of age have good quality.